After coming back from JB for a family event, Nur and I decided to catch the eagerly anticipated Thor 2: The Dark World. I would not deny that I was looking forward to the movie but I must say that I was a little apprehensive as I did not know how it would be able to impress me after the superb Thor and Avengers. As they say that most sequels are bad. However, it is safe to say that Thor 2 was BRILLIANT! I have to give a Spoiler Alert so stop reading if you wish to be astounded by Thor 2.
Thor 2 begins with the tale of The Dark World and of how the Universe was once controlled by the Dark Elves. Their leader Maleki wanted to control all of the 9 realms by using a powerful dark power known as the Aether. He planned to flood all the realms in darkness during the convergence of the worlds. However, he was stopped by Odin’s (Anthony Hopkins) father Borr. Unfortunately, Maleki got away, vowing to return for the next realms convergence.
It comes back to the current era. Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) searches for time bubble warps that unfortunately led her to the Aether. The Aether enters her causing her body to deteriorate by the Dark Energy of the Aether. Sensing the danger, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) finally reunites with his loved one and brings her to Asgard to cure her thanks to the convergence. However, it was short lived as Maleki being reawakened by the Aether seeks out Jane to acquire the Aether. However, Maleki was thwarted by Odin’s wife Frigga (Rene Russo) who unfortunately dies from her injuries trying to protect Jane. This led to the coalition of Thor with his half brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) who sneaks Jane off Asgard and hatch a plan to remove the Aether from Jane while destroying it with Maleki. All goes without a hitch except that the Aether could not be destroyed by Thor’s hammer.
Maleki then heads to Earth to complete what he had started as the realms converge. Thor successfully stops Maleki with the help of sending parts of Maleki to other realms. Thor then returns to Asgard to inform his father of his decision to not take the throne and return to Earth for his loved one.
Highlights of the movie
- Formation of the Kursed (Cool animation as they are turned into super monstrous beings.)
- Black Hole Grenades (A cool invention whereby mini black holes are made to suck in anything.)
- Lokis Death (It was touching as he sacrifice himself to save Thor from the Kursed.)
- The Space Bubble Warps (Funny and cool to be able to walk in between different realms.)
- Thor abdicating the throne to Odin (who was actually Loki) (Absolutely didn’t see it coming that Loki returned as the guard and killed his father. With Thor away and no Frigga, Loki acting as Odin shall be supreme ruler of Asgard. Can’t wait for what is in store in Avengers 2 or Thor 3.)
- Appearance of The Collector (Benicio Del Toro) (Left me clueless as he too collected Infinity Gems. Didn’t even knew that the Aether and Teseract were Infinity Gems. This is going to build up to the Infinity Gauntlet saga between The Collector & Thanos. Cant wait for the next movie Guardians of the Galaxy.)
- Thor reuniting with Jane. (Stay on till the end of the credits as Jane is reunited with Thor.)
- Plot : 4/5 (Entirely entertaining and didn’t see Loki to be the overall ruler of Asgard.
- Cinematography: 4/5 (Visual effects were simply stunning.)
- Overall: 4/5 (It is a must watch for me. Don’t miss it in the cinemas!)
Don’t miss the movie guys. Trust me, it’s worth to watch in a cinema especially with 3D effects. Catch it this weekend people!